Tuesday, March 2, 2010

GX Video: Treatment/Tone

Here's a sample of another style of music that I think would work great and
help move the piece along.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmfs7PnkXA

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Babette Hogan wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We know that, while hoping to demonstrate the breadth of GX's work, we will
> emphasize 3 categories of its work. However, the take home message from the
> GX piece, the one that gets people to take action will be fun and
> energetic.
>
> I'm submitting this sentence as an umbrella tone under which we place the
> many tentacled work of GX:
>
> * Fair is worth fighting for and the Activism required to Fight is Fun.*
>
> Using clean and bright graphics to help frame and unify the assortment of
> image formats, we will illustrate the zest behind the green movement.
> Graphics will be a major part of this piece and, based upon that and we will
> perpetuate a style consistent with GX's most recent marketing material.
>
> We will also use this styling on the other three videos, which will be more
> or less dependent upon graphic boosts, depending upon what we are able to
> attain.
>
> Some of the graphic approaches that may appeal, I've reposted in this video
> for your consideration. It it a youthful approach, capitalizing on the love
> of primary colors and not "too neat" or "too sweet" which resonates with the
> GX main webpage. I think this builds on the energy useful to cultivate in
> this piece aimed at exciting viewers.
> http://www.vimeo.com/958819
> http://www.vimeo.com/7325546
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqwBoWUHhGs - great music and graphic
> style
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4ywE_gPSU - music drives video
>
> Music will be a big factor in the success of the energy of this piece.
> Rick has generously agreed to acquire some great Latin music - thank you.
> We will consider using more than one piece to drive this video and I can
> forsee others styles than have been used in the past which would be useful
> under sections like the Palestine and protest scenes. While it may be a
> departure from the previous year, it will serve to broaden the
> representation of GX work auditorially as well as visually. I'm still
> looking for good samples of African continent
>
> I'm going to keep brewing ideas with the intention of having script
> treatments to discuss with Rick next Friday. Have a great weekend.
>
> Babette

3 comments:

  1. COMMENT FROM ASHLEY CLINE:

    Hi Babette,

    It is so exciting that you are on board and that our video projects are =
    starting to take shape. I wanted to respond to the treatment ideas you =
    sent late last week.

    Fair is worth fighting for and the Activism required to Fight is Fun.

    I love "Fair is worth fighting for," but I'm not sure "the activism required to fight is fun" will strike the right tone for our audience. I think we do want to convey that being a part of the movement for human rights, economic justice, and environmental sanity is exciting, engaging and fulfilling, but I'm not sure "fight is fun" is quite right. I shared this with Kirsten, our ED, who says she likes it, but the agrees that words fight is fun aren't quite right. So I guess where Kirsten and I are is that we are on the same page with the tone, just not this exact word choice.

    In regards to using graphics: I actually don't think a lot of graphics will work for this audience. The video needs to have an emotional hook and I think the way to do that is through real images and video. I want the audience to feel inspired and connected to our work after watching the video and I fear graphics will make it feel abstract.

    I heard from Elizabeth that you have been able to find enough video to support the sections we want to highlight. I think we have three options
    1) take more video footage - interview campaigners, allies, etc;
    2)find more footage - Elizabeth and I are working on this - it would be good if you could provide a list of things you need;
    3) change the sections that we highlight to be on campaigns that we do have good footage for.

    Music - I really like the music sample you sent. I think we are on the right track with this.

    If you want to talk about any of this, please feel free to give me a call.

    Thanks again for all your great work so far!!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. COMMENT FROM BABETTE HOGAN

    Ashley,

    Thanks for your feedback and encouragement.

    Glad you care for the tone. The reality is that we probably won't see a graphic that actually says : Activism is Fun. Maybe words like "fulfilling", "exhilarating", "inspiring", "energizing" are more fitting, but I don't anticipate that we'll actually see our tone phrase on the video.

    Of course you are right, we are going to go for the emotional hook and the graphics will be subordinate to that. A strong graphic style will unify the variety of pictures (and their aspect ratios) and videos. for e.g. a framing technique can help keep people visually driven while we are plucking at their heart strings, as seen in this link which I sent previously:
    http://www.vimeo.com/958819

    We have found some of the footage - yes - we are still waiting to see some of it by end of this week. We don't have Copenhagen footage yet. And I am still interested to see what can be done with Van's past interview pieces that keeps it relevant to his position and opinions today, while serving the GX message.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this music a lot....a great direction. I think this direction but try for even a little more catchy. that would be ideal. If I hear anything like that I'll let ya know. But this as is would work fine I think.

    ReplyDelete